Tuesday, March 14, 2006

World of work requirement: RESILIENCE

The first day of the World of Work (WOW) programme was very inspiring. I wanted to be a part of this programme because I feel that I have been stuck in the books for too long and now I ready to become professionally equipped to bring forth my ideas and plans for social change for girls and women worldwide. Tina Thompson, of Business Woman's Association of South Africa (BWSA), was simply great. While giving us the reality check about the world of work, (the fact that your boss may be harder than any professor you ever had), she stressed the importance of passion and enthusiasm for what you do as imperative to great achievement. Her 15 tools to build RESILIENCE are notes that I see myself referring to for a long time to come. Michelle Buthelezi, also of BWSA, said that personal integrity should never be compromised, particularly for money.

As a woman trying to work to empower other women, it was significant for me that the first two presenters of this programme were women and also mothers. As someone who wants to be a mother myself as well as a viable businesswoman, intertwining these desires and roles as a woman is sometimes discouraged in the professional setting. It seemed unintentional but Both Thompson and Buthelezi spoke about the challenges and realities of being a mother as well as a woman who has her own aspirations to be successful. It brought it real aspects of professional and personal ambitions that we try to balance daily. Thank you both:-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Cyrille Mutombo said...

That's right Rochelle, the 15 tools are something that is gonna be useful and thanks to Thina, guess what, her make up was the first think that attracted my attention when she stood up, then what came out of her mouth was just great,

7:30 AM  
Blogger Psychewellbeing said...

Rochelle I think Tina,Michelle did really bring up our self- confidence and as it is I am also practising those 15 tools for resilience.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home