Monday, March 20, 2006

The 9-5 trap

"When you are care about something it is a 9-5 job. When you care for something it is a way of life" - Peter Metcalfe (Director, Foundation for the Development of Africa)

This quote I think I agree with. It is talking about a passion. Throughout last week and I am pretty confident that the remaining 3 weeks of this programme, the presenters will tell us to find our passion and live our dreams. Not to be cynical but most people I see going to work everyday see their job as a 9-5. They have to pay bills, children's school fees and save for a new home or the occasional "holiday." I have to be honest: I DON'T WANT A 9-5. That's why I have been in school to this day. I was educating myself and exposing myself to profound ideas to figure out what I am passionate about. But now, even though I hate it, the reality is that I do need a job. I do need to make some money because money is a necessity that will assist in fulfilling some of my passions. I don't want to fall in the trap though. The trap I believe is the "9-5." I want to care about something and make it a way of life. Presently, I care about empowering young women across the globe, I want us to learn about each other (communication) so that we can give each other options to the box of life we find ourselves in (social change). To sum up a passion of mind: "communication for social change"

I am still working on this...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Celeste,
You are on the right track,

To live one’s passion or to live one’s purpose. This is something we are all striving to achieve. To live our passion and be paid for it, wow!

It reminds me of professional golfers, they play the game and get paid for it, when I play – I pay. However, to live your passion and get paid for it comes at a price – hard work. A pro golfer works for many, many hours to improve his/her performance - if they don’t deliver they don’t get paid - either prize money or sponsorships. Golf may not be a purpose, however it must be seen as an instrument in delivering one’s purpose.

You write:
‘I want to care about something and make it a way of life. Presently, I care about empowering young women across the globe, I want us to learn about each other (communication) so that we can give each other options to the box of life we find ourselves in (social change). To sum up a passion of mind: "communication for social change"’

Live this passion. Start a database of ‘young women’ contacts and share thoughts via a ‘newsletter’. Initially you may often feel as though you are communicating with yourself – trust me if you touch one life you have made a difference.

Never, ever relent on your dream – Walk the Talk!

Peter METCALFE
Foundation for the Development of Africa

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home